Infertility may arise in female, male or both of them. The cause of infertility is found to be with the male partner in one-third of cases. The same ratio appears to be with female partners as well as for both the partners.
The defective sperms may be present in men in fewer numbers or with abnormal functionality due to the following reasons:1. Birth defects like undescended testes
• Prior infection of the testes like mumps
• Swelling of the testes (varicocoele)
• Injuries and physical trauma to the testes
• Chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatment
• Exposure to chemicals and toxins
• Sexual problems:
• Sexual problems may impair the delivery of sperms and may be seen in the following conditions:
• Premature ejaculation
• Retrograde ejaculation where the semen enters the bladder instead of emerging through the penis during orgasm
• Genetic diseases such as cystic fibrosis, impair passage of sperms through the reproductive tract
• Blockage of the tubes carrying the semen from surgery, injury or infection
Ovulation disorders: The disorders involving ovary may prevent the ovaries from releasing eggs which leads to infertility. PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome may be one of the causes for your ovaries to produce too much of the male hormone. This happens when you have too much prolactin that cause ovarian dysfunction. This may also be caused due to a deficient ovary, excessive exercise, surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatments.
Uterine or cervical abnormalities:: Malfunctions like septa or underdeveloped uterus may be the cause of infertility. It may also be caused when, the fibroids block the opening of fallopian tubes or distort the uterine cavity. An abnormal cervical mucus also prevents a successful conception.
Fallopian tube damage or blockage: Fallopian tubes through which the eggs reach the uterus may get damaged due to infections, endometriosis or adhesions. In India, tuberculosis is found to be one of the important causes.
Endocrine problems: Hormonal problems like thyroid problems, steroid related problems (Cushing's disease) and diabetes can lead to infertility.
Few medicines may also prevent you from conceiving. This is temporary and fertility can be achieved once you stop consuming the medicines. Make sure that you carry all medicines when you consult an infertility specialist.
Talk to us if you have any queries on the causes of infertility. At Garbba Rakshambigai fertility centre, we have an expertized team 24/7 at your service.